Xconvers is a client for the amateur radio convers system (port
3600), which resembles IRC. Servers are connected over the internet or by
packet-radio. In a split-screen xconvers session you can type text into
the bottom line. The reply from the server can be seen in the top screen.
The current version features: color support for 10 different users ,
history for the connect dialog and the transmit window
and optional saving of the session to a logfile.
You can change the font and color of the received text and
change the background color or set a pixmap.
Colors and font can be seen in a preview window, before applying
it to the receive window.
It is possible to automatically login to a convers server, by entering a default
name and channel and sending commands after you login.
xconvers 0.8 with language support. Click on the image to see a larger view.
July 27, 2001: Version
- Non-blocking hostname lookup and connect has been added.
- A progress bar was added which is activated while connecting.
- More small bugfixes.
- Size and position of the main window can now be saved.
July 16, 2001: Version
- Fix a bug which would crash xconvers when receiving long lines.
- Transparent icons.
- Minor cleanups and fixes.
June 26, 2001: Version
- Fixed a bug that would not correctly close a connection when logging out.
- Added a connection setup timeout handler. Set to 90 seconds.
- Socket options now set to SO_KEEPALIVE. This is explained in the docs.
June 7, 2001: Version
- Fixed a bug that would crash xconvers with rarely formatted help texts.
- Fixed saving and recalling of the history for the send widget.
- Html documentation has been moved to a seperate package called xconvers-doc.
May 1, 2001: Version
- All colors are configurable and can been seen in a preview window before you apply them.
- Use your favourite pixmap to set the background of xconvers.
- This release also adds a 'commands' entry to autologin. Any convers command
entered here will be sent to the server after you login.
- Language support is added. Only dutch language is supported for now.
April 18, 2001: Version
- Fixes a bug in the preferences dialog.
- Fixes a bug in the history handling.
March 17, 2001: Version 0.6 is released. Download
- Font and background color of the main window can be set.
- Automatic login added.
- Menu, scrollbar end statusbar can be enable and disabled.
December 23, 2000: Slackware and debian packages!
Arno, PE1ICQ is making slackware packages available. You can get them at
Debian (woody) packages have been build by me. Available at
debian xconvers page.
Let me know if you can build rpm packages. I will link them here.
December 16, 2000: Xconvers 0.5 is here. This is the first stable
release. Go to the
projects page to download.
- A major rewrite closes all known bugs.
- History added to the connect dialog (comboboxes for hostname and port-entry).
- History added to the transmit window (up/down arrow).
- Auto save/recall of history to ~/.xconvers/history.
- About dialog cleaned up.
November 6, 2000: Xconvers 0.5-beta1 released! Download by clicking on
- Logging enabled to ~/.xconvers/hostname.log.
- Logging can be turned on/off from the preferences menu.
- Settings will be saved automatically and recalled the next time you start xconvers.
- Scrolling of the receive window works with PgUp/PgDn keys.
July 23, 2000: Xconvers 0.5-alpha2 released with color support. Download
- Color support added. Every user gets assigned a different
color, up to a maximum of 10 colors.
- Resizing and displaying of the different dialogs and windows
works better now.
June 28, 2000: First xconvers announcement on
June 26, 2000: First alpha release can be downloaded at
- Basic version with only 2 colors for transmit and receive.
- One line transmit and mutiple line receive window.
- Seperate dialogs for connect and disconnect.
Other things available here: The
Motif/Lesstif version and the
xconvers project page
(Contact Information, Bug Tracking, Online Forum).